Farmers' Market Insurance
Minnesota Farmers’ Market Association Insurance Program
The Minnesota Farmers’ Market Association (MFMA) continues to work closely with Stearns Insurance Services to provide a low cost liability insurance program available exclusively to MFMA members. This program is open to both MFMA Market members and Vendor members.
General Liability Insurance including Products and Completed Operations
- Limits of Liability: $5,000,000 aggregate, $2,000,000 per occurrence
- Deductible per claim: $250
- Policy term: March 1, 2015 to March 1, 2016
Underwritten by Atain Specialty Insurance Company, AM Best A rated
Coverage Guidelines and Eligibility
- Your Farmers’ Market must be an MFMA member to be eligible for this member benefit.
- Market size is limited to the "average number of vendors per event multiplied by the number of events in the policy year" being less than or equal to 1,500
- Markets: maximum of two locations per market
Vendor and Market Insurance
- A vendor must be a MFMA member to be eligible for this member benefit.
- A new applications must be completed every year. There is no automatic renewal.
- Vendors will have coverage at any established* farmers' marrket or established* farmers' market-type event in the state of Minnesota.
- No concessionaires are eligible. For example, vendors who sell pizza, hamburgers, or pop meant to be consumed onsite while at the market are ineligible for this program.
- Only small, one-of-a-kind, non-mass-produced crafts will be permitted to be sold.
- Only locally grown/raised products are eligible for sale.
- No resale of wholesale purchased items.
- No coverage for cosmetics or body care products (soap, lotion, etc)
- Premiums will be charged as a flat amount for the policy period.
- No refunds for canellations.
- No reduced premiums for late entry into the policy period.
- Premiums noted included all the processing fees and state taxes.
- Insurance is only valid in the state of Minnesota (although a vendor may live in an adjacent state).
- Coverage is not valid for sales from your home or farm, for commerical kitchens, or for crops; coverage is only valid at established* famrers' markets or established* farmers' market-type events.
- This is not for vendors who have a store front, as the market is just another selling location. These vendors must obtain coverage through their business insurance.
- Markets and vendors shall comply with applicable Minnesota Department of Agriculture and Minnesota Department of Health rules and regulations.
- Contact the Minnesota Farmers' Market Association (MFMA) for market or vendor membership.
- The above coverages are the only coverages offered. Any coverage requested in the application that differs from the above is not included.
- A certificate of insurance will be emailed or mailed to you as your proof of insurance.
- Disclaimer: This is a summary of insurance and the acutal policy language holds true above all summarized language.
Note: Ineligible markets and vendors: Individual insurance programs are availble for markets and vendors who do not qualify for this program. Please contact Stearns Insurance Services for an individual proposal.
- Established Farmers' Market or Established Event: Market or event is formally organized, has a board of directors, and is insured.
- Food-Unprocessed: Vendors who grow their own food products and do not process them. Food goes directly from the ground to the stand. Examples: tomatoes, apples, potatoes, flowers, and plants.
- Food Processed: Vendors who grow their own food products and perform processing before sale. Examples: jam, jelly, honey, maple syrup, bread, basked goods, spices, and canned goods allowed by the MN Pickle Bill. This category also includes cut meat, eggs, and mushrooms.
- Crafts, Food-Unprocessed/Processed: Vendors who grow and/or process their own food products AND/OR sell small, one-of-a-kind, non-mass produced crafts. Examples: jewelry, birdhouses, and hand-made wearable items.
- Market: the farmers' market itself.
- Vendor: person who sells at the farmers' market.
For more information, please visit the Minnesota Farmers Market Association’s (MFMA) website at www.mfma.org. There you will be able to apply for your MFMA membership, apply for the insurance, print a summary of the insurance as well as the applications, and see premiums and fees. If your business doesn’t fit in the above program, you can click “Get A Quote” below. We can then get you an individual quote specifically for your business.